When it comes to research and development, the research staff of the Daiwa Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. (Laboratory), which is located at our Akashi Factory, has a broad knowledge of organic and inorganic chemistry and metals. Our R&D is focused closely on our customers’ needs and driven by our sales, development, and manufacturing departments in a framework of close cooperation.
R&D operations are divided into three groups—surface finishing, corrosion inhibitors, and fine chemicals—and Product Development Department. Each group is charged with opening up new markets by anticipating new needs and focusing on unprecedented products and environmental improvements.
The Daiwa Kasei Group has long sought to maintain an environment where young researchers can conduct research freely and unfettered. Our researchers are encouraged to use their flexibility, creativity, and relish for challenges to tackle research unafraid of mistakes; we applaud collaboration and mutual help and stimulation in the quest for innovative, high-added-value products.
- Surface Finishing Chemicals Group
- The Surface Finishing Chemicals Group develops new plating solutions and effective plating processes to anticipate industry needs. We aim for constant improvement in the quality of cyanide-free silver plating solutions to generate new values for our customers.
- Corrosion Inhibitor Group
- The Corrosion Inhibitor Group leverages 50 years’ worth of technical strength and expertise to develop corrosion inhibitors in response to customers’ requirements. Moreover we were the first in the world to successfully develop nitrite-free volatile corrosion inhibitors, and continue to develop corrosion inhibitors that help make working environments safer and cleaner.
- Fine Chemicals Group
- The Fine Chemicals Group researches and develops tailor-made synthesized organic chemicals to meet customers’ requirements. The group’s goals include broadening the range of applications for bentotriazole ultraviolet absorbers and researching surface finishing chemicals to improve the quality of plastics.
- Product Development Department
- This supremely talented group of technical specialists is charged with identifying growth markets, cooperating with other companies on product development, and acquiring new customers. Successes include developing many innovative products, such as surface finishing chemicals for lithium batteries and numerous other compounds. We are eager participants in joint projects with universities and public research institutions.
- Scanning electron microscope with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX)
- Micro hardness tester
- Nuclear magnetic resonance device (NMR)
- An energy dispersive x-ray fluorescence spectrometer
Our manufacturing operations have evolved over the years in keeping with our customers’ diverse, sophisticated requirements. Production is carried out at the Akashi Factory, Akashi-Nishi Factory, Kamaishi Factory, and our new factory in Taiwan (completed in 2013). Backed by the combined capabilities of these four production bases, we are dedicated to producing high-added-value products and supplying them to customers more quickly and at lower cost. To that end, we maintain cutting-edge facilities and machinery, and strive for constant improvement of production technology.
- 40-ton raw materials receive tank
- SV mixer
- Reactor for UV stabilizers
- Clean room manufacturing equipment
- Akashi Factory
- After the Akashi Factory was built in 1982, we expanded the premises as our business grew, making this the core factory of the Daiwa Kasei Group. Daiwa’s brand name products such as VERZONE® and DAINSORB® are primarily manufactured at this facility. Our unique production system enables high-mix low-volume operations, which means we can offer a stable supply of high-purity, high-quality products within a short turnaround time at low cost.
- Akashi- Nishi Factory
- The Akashi-Nishi Factory’s is designed around its clean room. Facilities specializes in the production of plating solutions for electronic components, which require extremely high precision and a dust-free environment. As membrane thickness becomes ever slimmer, we continue to evolve our production technology on a daily basis.
- Kamaishi Factory
- At the Kamaishi Factory, we extract high-purity DNA-related components from the soft roe of salmon caught off the local Sanriku shore, which are then manufactured into a powdered product. We also seek to forge new markets focused on the health food industry by developing new product forms and applications. Here, we also produce high-polymer DNA, which is supplied to research institutions for use in research into optical devices.
- Daiwa Fine Chemicals (Taiwan) Co,. Ltd.
- Our first overseas plant, the Taiwan Factory, was established in 2013 in order to strengthen our production system and disperse risk in disaster situations. The factory has a clean room, and produces surface finishing chemicals related to tin plating for electronic components focused on semiconductors. Products made here are sold locally and globally, with a particular focus on China, South Korea, and Europe.
Quality Assurance Division
We have a rigorous, consistent quality assurance system based on the ISO 9001 standard. The Quality Assurance Division’s role is to work with the group’s R&D arm to monitor production processes to ensure we can provide our customers with reliable, high-quality products. We are particularly careful when analyzing hazardous substances, and our overriding goal in this area is to strengthen the quality control system and improve measurement precision.
We have sales bases in Kobe and Tokyo, and operations are divided into groups dealing in four areas: surface finishing chemicals, corrosive inhibitors, and fine chemicals; food and food additives; inorganic industrial chemicals and other chemical agents; and Overseas Business. Leveraging knowledge of local environments and our inherent strengths as a manufacturer, we can provide customers with the best possible solutions through collaboration between sales, Another major focus is gathering information to drive the development of new products and markets. We offer customers a broad array of up-to-date information, including market and product trends, information from overseas, and technological developments.
Sales Department, Kobe Head Office
The Sales Department of head office in Kobe focuses on products developed within the Daiwa Kasei Group, including VERZONE®, DAIN, DAINSORB®, and high-purity DNA products. Our sales team has a vast knowledge of chemicals, and places priority on offering comprehensive consulting services rather than simply selling products. The team provides market information and technical support to customers, and proposes solutions to the issues they face relating to product development, cost reduction, and environmental concerns.
Meanwhile, our surface finishing and synthetic chemical sales representatives work hard to offer customers the right products to solve their problems.
Sales Department, Tokyo Office
The Sales Department of the Tokyo Office sells chemicals, Daiwa-developed products, health food ingredients, and more. In particular, we supply environmental products such as inorganic compounds for water processing to the private and government sectors. Our sales system is defined by its close alignment to customers’ needs and its comprehensive coverage of all aspects from consulting to delivery, a system which our customers appreciate.
Overseas Business Department
As the Japanese market steadily shrinks, we at the Daiwa Kasei Group are ramping up efforts to expand into international markets. The Overseas Business Department spearheads this initiative, which is currently focused on feedstuffs and feed additives to enhance the value of Japanese livestock and marine industries. We are actively involved in expanding our global business, starting with importing potential feed substitutes such as soybean protein feed from India.
We remain devoted to discovering new, high added-value materials and expanding overseas sales of products developed by the Daiwa Kasei Group.